Sunday, October 18, 2015

Dollar Tree Skull Makeover



All of my kiddos are very crafty. So much so, that even when my craft room is clean...it doesn't stay that way for long, whether I am in it or not. So, I wanted to do a craft with my two oldest daughters to get some time together.

The skulls came from the Dollar Tree. I have seen them there for several years and we actually have one that we put a mustache on a few seasons ago and we set him out during Halloween too. His name is Bojangles.



Here are the supplies you will need to make one. Depending on your style, you may want to try a few different techniques.

Plastic skull (Dollar Tree)
Xacto knife
Spray Paint
Glue (I used E6000)
Rhinestones, pearls, buttons, flowers,sequins, beads, or other accents

Because these are so cheap, they aren't made very well. The seams where the plastic was fused together were pretty big, so I used an Xacto knife to smooth them out, followed by a few swipes of fine sandpaper. This isn't a 'have to' step, but I feel it made ours look better in the end.



Once I was done with that, I wiped her (yes, it's a she) down with a damp rag and then spray painted her with a cream colored spray paint made by Krylon. She got two coats of the cream and then a coat of the Rustoleum clear matte spray. Make sure you give them enough time to dry in between. Once the sealer is dry, the fun begins!


I started looking through my supplies and liked the idea of gold and teal. So, I pulled out some different things and started gluing sequins on, adding rhinestones, and then using my Sharpie marker to add some swirls and dots.



Here she is all fancied up!



Here is one my daughter made. I love how she used the metallic spray paint! Her design is really cool, but you could just spray them gold or silver and they would be a perfect addition!




Since we had all of these supplies already on hand, we only had $3 out of pocket for the skulls!

You could get really creative with this. Some ideas would be painting it ombre style or using artificial flowers for the eyes. You could add large googly eyes to make it funny, Possibilities are endless.

I say this was definitely a win and I think this is beginning an annual tradition for my kids and I.

If you do this craft or something similar, please show us in the comments!

Have a blessed day!



0 comments:

Post a Comment